EPF Balance Check: The Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) is an organization to assist the Central Board of Trustees, a statutory body constituted by the Employees Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 and under the administrative control of the Ministry. Labor and Employment, Government of India.
EPFO assists the Central Board in mandating Contributory Provident Fund(PF) Scheme, Pension Scheme and Insurance Scheme for the workforce engaged in the organized sector in India. It is also the nodal agency for implementing bilateral social security agreements with other countries on a reciprocal basis. The scheme includes Indian workers as well as international workers (countries with which bilateral agreements have been signed. So far 19 social security agreements are in operation).
It is one of the largest social security organizations in India in terms of the number of beneficiaries covered and the volume of financial transactions undertaken. The highest decision-making body of EPFO is the Central Board of Trustees (CBT)
What is the Provident Fund (PF)?
As a mandatory, government-managed retirement savings scheme, Provident Fund (PF) enables employees to contribute a portion of their savings towards their pension fund each month. Over time, this amount accrues and can be accessed as a lump sum, at the end of their employment or at retirement. Provident fund money is a large amount that helps you to develop your retirement fund.
While provident funds are low-risk investment avenues that can help your money grow smoothly, it is important to invest PF funds in high-risk investments that enable you to pursue your fund. Bajaj Finance Fixed Deposit is a preferred investment avenue to separate your funds, multiply them.
There are mainly three different types of PFs, which include the following:
- The General Provident Fund is a type of PF that is maintained by government bodies including local bodies, railways and other such bodies. Thus, these types of PFs are mainly defined by government bodies.
- A recognized provident fund is one that applies to all privately owned organizations that have more than 20 employees. In addition, you will be given a UAN or Universal Account Number, making a correct claim for the PF associated with your organization. Whenever you move from one business to another, you can transfer your PF funds from one employer to another.
- Public provident funds are defined by the voluntary nature of investment on behalf of the employee. PPF has a minimum deposit of INR and a maximum of Rs. 1.5 lakhs. This PF also comes with a pre-determined maturity period of 15 years, after which any withdrawal can be made from the account.
How to check PPF Balance?
Employees working in an organization can easily know their provident fund balance, without waiting for the employer to share the annual PF details at the end of the year. Here is a look at various ways in which you can see your PF balance:
Use these methods to check your EPF balance:
- Using EPFO Portal
- Sending an SMS
- By giving a Missed Call
- By using the EPFO app
- By using the Umang App
Using EPFO Portal
To check EPF balance, make sure that the employer has activated your Universal Account Number (UAN).
The Universal Account Number or UAN is unique for all employees enrolled under the EPF scheme. A UAN number is allotted by the Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). All employees must have only one UAN during their working life, no matter how many companies they change.
After activating your UAN number, follow these steps:
Step 1: Log on to the EPFO portal. Go to Tab Services Our Services and choose the option that says “For Employees” from the drop-down menu.
Step 2: Now, click on the option ‘Member passbook’ under the option “Services
Step 3: A login page will appear. Once activated, enter your UAN number and password here.
Step 4: Then roll over the mouse on view and click on Passbook
Step 5: Another window will open where u have to again enter your UAN and password then click on login.
Step 6: After login, you can see your EPF balance details as well as the statement also. You can download the whole passbook from there also.
Points to Remember :
There are few points that members should keep in mind about the EPF balance check by visiting the website –
- Only those members who have activated their UAN and have registered on the UAN Member Portal can check their PF balance through this method.
- The facility of viewing passbook will be available after 6 hours of registering on the UAN Member Portal.
- If you have made some changes on the UAN Portal, the same will reflect on the website after 6 hours.
- The passbook will show the latest entries that have been reconciled by the EPFO Field Offices.
- Exempted Establishments Members, Settled Members and members of inoperative accounts will not be able to view their passbook on the EPFO website. If you have stopped contributing to your EPF account for more than 3 years, your account will become inoperative
By Sending an SMS
It is necessary to integrate your UAN number with your KYC details, ie Aadhaar or PAN or bank account details. Only then you can be able to access your EPF balance via SMS
UAN activated Members may know their latest PF contribution and balance available with EPFO by sending an SMS at 7738299899 from registered mobile number.
After the UAN is integrated with your KYC details, follow these steps:
- Go to your mobile normal message application.
- Type EPFOHO UAN(Your UAN) ENG (Prefered Language)
- Then send to 7738299899.
- For example, to receive in SMS in Telugu then SMS to be sent will be “EPFOHO UAN TEL” to 7738299899.
- The facility is available in English (default) and Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Bengali. For receiving the SMS in any of the languages other than English, the first three characters of the preferred language need to be added after UAN.
By giving a Missed Call
- Members registered on the UAN portal may get their details available with EPFO by giving a missed call to 011-22901406 from their registered mobile number.
- If the UAN of the member is seeded with any one of the Bank A/C numbers, AADHAAR and PAN the member will get details of last contribution and PF Balance.
- Mobile Number must be activated with UAN at Unified Portal.
- Mobile Number must be activated with UAN at Unified Portal.
- Any one of the following KYC must be available against the UAN.
- Bank A/c Number
By using the EPFO app
To check your EPF balance, make sure that the employer has activated your UAN number.
You can also check your EPF balance by downloading “EPFO’s m-sewa app” from Google Play Store.
- Once the app is downloaded, click on ‘Member’ and then go to ‘Balance/Passbook.
- Afterward, enter your UAN and registered mobile number.
- The system will verify your mobile number against your UAN. If you see all the details, then you can see your updated EPF remaining details. In case of mismatch, it will display an error.
By using the Umang App
EPFO provides various services through the government’s centralized mobile app called Umang. The app can be downloaded from Google Play Store / App Store. Members can check their balance and download their passbook on this app. Follow the steps given below –
Step 1- Download the application from Play Store/App Store or directly by clicking on this link- Umang App
Step 2- Open the Umang app on your smartphone and select EPFO
Step 3- Click on the “Employee Centric Services”
Step 4- Click on “View Passbook” to check your EPF balance.
Step 5- Enter your UAN and click on Get OTP to send the OTP to the mobile number registered with UAN. Enter the OTP and click on “Login”
Step 6– Select the member ID of the company for which you want to check the EPF balance.
Step 7 – Your passbook will be displayed on the screen along with your EPF balance.